Let’s get one thing perfectly clear:
You’re reading these words because I want you to.
The feelings you are feeling, the thoughts you are having, your reaction to the headline…
Your reaction to me talking about your reaction…
It’s all on purpose.
I wrote a spell to make you read this.
This spell makes you slowly scroll down this page to read more.
Not because you’re forced to, but because you want to. You’re intrigued.
And the best part is that the world is blind to this spell. People rarely know when it’s working on them.
The spell seduces people. And they LOVE it. You love it too. You like reading these words.
Luckily for you, you can replicate the spell without much work.
So here’s the secret to the spell: whenever you write, act like you’re writing to a 5th grader.
- Use words with only one or two syllables
- Use short sentences
- Use paragraphs that only have a few sentences
Remember…the point of the first sentence is to get you to read the second sentence. And the point of the second sentence is to get you to read the third sentence. And so on.
A well written email, blog post, or book creates a slippery slope. The reader melts away into the copy.
Now go on…and use this tip today. It’ll work.
And for the record, I don’t consider myself a great writer. My grammar sucks. I am notorious for typos. But I am better than most.
Why? Because I study humans and what makes them tick.
If you’re interested in learning what I know, here are the five things I suggest you do:
- Take Neville Medora’s Kopywriting Kourse
- Read On Writing by Stephen King
- Read The Adweek Copywriting Handbook (regardless if you write books or sales copy)
- Read Influence by Robert Ciadini. This is the greatest and most useful book I’ve ever read.
- Use Hemingway App while writing. Aim for a 5th grade level.